Crete is one of the largest and most popular Greek islands to visit. With lots of historic sites, mesmerizing scenery, awesome food, and various places to visit, there are many people who decide to travel to beautiful Crete. It certainly makes for a great holiday to hire a car and discover Crete on your own.
You can discover the most popular cities of Crete quite easily by yourself, and there are many affordable car hire options to choose from in Crete. Simply look up car hire in Crete with Rental Center Crete to see for yourself, and in most cases you will be able to book online so it is very convenient and simple. Then, you can just plan your trips around so as to discover the most popular cities and locations in Crete. Let us give you some tips of locations that you can include in your travel itinerary.
– Heraklion – this is the largest city in Crete, and the fourth biggest Greek city. Needless to say there is plenty to see and do here, considering that this is a key place. From the Heraklion Archaeological Museum and the Historical Museum of Crete, to the Municipal Gallery and the Basilica of St. Mark, and the Koules Venetian Fortress, you are surely going to have a full day or even two checking out Heraklion and its various interesting lcoations. There is also Knossos Palace, a Bronze Age site which is referred to as the oldest city in Europe. If you love history and archaeology then you just have to go here.
– Chania – this is one of the largest Greek island cities. There is a lot to see and do here. You can stroll along the beautiful Venetian Harbour. No wonder it is often referred to as the Venice of the East. Besides the lovely harbour, you should go shopping at the famous Agora Marketplace. There is some great food to try out while you’re here as this is a popular destination with tourists. If you like to check out interesting places you should visit the old lighthouse at the harbour, which is quite unique.
– Rethymno – another lovely place you should definitely check out while you are here. This is a lovely old historic town with cobbled streets, quaint cafes and various historical things to see. This is the third biggest city in Crete, with a typical Renaissance feel all around, making it a popular attraction for tourists. From here, once you have hired a car, you should head to the Sacred Monastery of Arkadi which is only about 20km away. There is the bell tower, and some very interesting architecture to see here, not to mention the religious value of this beautiful monastery.
– Agios Nikolaos – a harbour town that is truly intriguing in its quaint way. Located on the Gulf of Mirabello, this is a tourist spot in various respects and as picturesque as a location could possibly get.
– Ierapetra – a city in the South of Crete where you will be able to experience great food, lovely beaches and much more!
Some other interesting sites you can easily visit once you have hired a car in Crete:
– Samaria Gorge National Park – a very beautiful place for those who love natural settings and picturesque views. If you want to spend a day in a natural and quiet setting, this is the place to go to.
– Sissi – a one-of-a-kind fishing village, where you can also enjoy a lovely beach as well as indulge in some exploration as you take in this truly lovely place.
– Mirambello Bay – this is one of the biggest bays you will find not only in Crete, but in Europe. By car you will be able to drive through and take in this lovely area as well as indulge in some great food.
– Balos Lagoon – this is definitely worth a visit if you love beautiful views or hiking. You can even take a boat that will take you to see how beautiful this place really is. The best viewpoint is at Balos Beach Trail.