[MISS BACKPACKER] WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN LATELY?
It’s officially November. In the Philippines, the month of November smells Christmas already. I can’t imagine that it is now the second to the last month of year 2012. We are going to close another year of ups and downs. 2013 is really fast approaching.
This month, it reminds me of the movie “Sweet November” an American romantic drama starring Charlize Theron and Keanu Reeves. Now I need to find for that movie at the nearest video shop and watch it again.
While I think about sweet November allow me to introduce this month’s Travel Nuts. Kaiz Belga of Missbackpacker. She’s blogging since 2003, can you imagine that? Sharing her adventures and misadventures through her itineraries are some of her objectives why she started her own travel blog. I asked her several questions and here’s what she had to say.
WHAT KIND OF TRAVELER ARE YOU?
You know what, I didn’t realize that until reading this question.
I am not into churches, architecture, politics, religion, and all that. We have our (or their) government to worry about those stuff so I leave it all to them. But I’d kill for seafood, the outdoor and nature, the mountains and the beaches, getting drunk (and cursing the hangover), throwing up, meeting people and learning about their stories, taking lots of photos, and basically doing nothing but relax.
I guess that pretty much says everything about the kind of traveler I am, a backpacker who doesn’t like baggage.
WHAT IS IT ABOUT TRAVEL THAT PEOPLE LOVE?
– I’m all after the fun, memories I can bring home with me, and people who I will meet when it comes to traveling. These are just some of the things that prestigious schools and very good upbringing have failed to make us experience. That being said, traveling is my cocaine, it is so addicting.
ABOUT HER TRAVEL BLOG
– I’ve been blogging for almost a decade now. Before, I blogged about all things I could think of which I eventually thought was insane as I couldn’t write about everything. I am not Chuck Norris. When I started this hobby of mountaineering, I put up this blog and decided to focus on it becoming a travelogue rather than a general blog with the aim of providing itineraries of my mountaineering activities to help fellow mountaineers. Mountain climbing and traveling are siblings. Now, I use both topics in my articles. I think, I’ll fixate more on narratives and photos than itineraries.
HER NEXT DESTINATION
– Baguio. I will tour my husband around the summer capital of the Philippines this November. Considering the number of places we’ve visited, he hasn’t been to Baguio yet, which is just a few hours away from where we live. I know right?
FAVORITE TRAVEL DESTINATION
– Coron and its beaches. It put me under a spell of amusement and love. Naks! Seriously, Coron has something-which-I-do-not-know that makes me want to go back over and over again. Been there twice and have already booked flights next year for another visit. It’s laid-back, clean, the residents know almost everyone, has zero crime rate, and inevitable blackouts. 🙂
THREE FAVORITE TRAVEL BLOGS YOU VISIT.
– There’s this now-defunct blog by Bobby Henderson (http://blog.venganza.org/31.php) which I used to regularly visit back then. Aside from the great photos, I loved the humor the blog presented. I wish he decides to update his blog again.
When it comes to itineraries, I always rely to, who else, but the ultimate Lakwatsero (http://www.lakwatsero.com) Angel Suarez.
I am also a fan of Nina Fuentes’ Just Wandering (http://justwandering.org). It’s one of the first travelogues I’ve ever read. She writes beautifully and that I love.
THE BEST THING ABOUT BLOGGING
– It’s really heartwarming when readers become inspired by your words or photos. Seeing them apply whatever it is they found on my site is something I always look forward to. And oh, sponsored trips are great bonuses!
THE WORST THING ABOUT BLOGGING
– Travel-related, you can’t please all of the people asking for your advice and help among other things. Some will even criticize you for your lackluster posts. Technically, you’ll be screaming out loud how bad of a writer you could be with sometimes-shallow ideas plus major grammar lapses.
WHERE SHE GETS INSPIRATION FROM
– Whenever I feel like half an ass, I watch movies and read blogs. That way, I’ll end up being envious of what I am seeing/reading and will eventually come up with something for a new blog post.
FOR ASPIRING TRAVEL BLOGGERS
– Anyone can travel, can blog. They don’t require a license or certificate of some sort so do it. Writing and photography skills will be honed along the way, so do not fret about it. The greatest feeling in the world is to see your accomplishments. And that, in our case, is the traveling we’ve done, which is sincerely documented.
WHEN WILL YOU STOP TRAVELING?
– I’ll only close my book of traveling when time comes that my body tells me so even if my heart says otherwise.
This month of November is the perfect moment to look back to the amazing and happy things that happened in the previous month. So tell me how sweet do you think is your November?